Hilton Head Nannies and Companions is the leading Nanny & Babysitting Placement Agency in the Lowcountry. We are proud of our team of excellent caregivers and are always looking for more of the best and brightest the Lowcountry has to offer. As such, we will only refer caregivers who meet the moral & skill-set standards we have set in place and those who are able to pass an exhaustive background test.
If you are interested in becoming a nanny with Hilton Head Nannies & Companions, you may have some questions:
- What does a Nanny do?
- What qualifications do I need to become a nanny?
- What hours does a Nanny typically work?
- What is a Nanny's Salary?
- How do you screen your clients?
- How do I apply to become a Nanny with Hilton Head Nannies & Companions?
What does a Vacation Nanny do?
The primary responsibility of a vacation nanny is the complete care of our client's children. No other duty, request, or responsibility should come first.
Typical duties of a vacation nanny include but are not limited to:
- Tending to each child's individual needs
- Diapering as needed
- Pool Swimming - no beach swimming (When requested by client and approved by agency AND nanny)
- Walks on the beach, sand castle building, shell hunting, nature hunts and more outdoor play
- Bike Riding
- Resort Activities for the kids
- Movies (at night)
- When children go to bed, nanny can read, cruise Facebook on their phones, play games on their personal ipads, etc.
Nannies are often tipped by vacation clients
What does a Vacation Nanny make?
Our vacation nannies/on-call nannies make $14-30/hour plus tips and holiday increases. They are paid very well and treated as respected professionals.
What does a Permanent Nanny do?
The primary responsibility of a nanny is the complete care of their employer's children. No other duty, request, or responsibility should come first.
Typical duties of a nanny include but are not limited to:
- Tending to each child's basic physical needs
- Simple meal planning and preparation
- Laundry and clothing care for children*
- Organization of play activities and outings
- Organization of educational activities and projects
- Social activities (birthday parties, play groups)
- Tidying up at the end of the appointment
Some permanent nannies are also willing to take on extra responsibilities around the house. These might include:
- Parent's laundry*
- Shopping and errands*
- Loading/unloading the dishwasher*
- Taking out the trash*
Every nanny's responsibilities are unique and should be negotiated prior to placement when entering a permanent employment position.
*These are jobs typically assumed by nannies placed in a permanent job with a family.
What qualifications do I need to become a Nanny?
Our Nannies must:
- Have a genuine love and respect for children
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Complete a 12 phase application process
- Pass a 3 tier interview process
- Be CPR certified or have a willingness to obtain certification
- Be First Aid certified or have a willingness to obtain certification
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be willing to make a minimum commitment of 2 appointments per month
- Have an excellent reputation within the community
- Have verifiable child care experience
- Provide a minimum of three child care references
- Provide a minimum of three personal references
- Be in good general health and, if asked, provide a statement from your doctor that you are healthy enough to have children in your care
- Have reliable transportation
- Be willing to submit to random drug testing and alcohol testing
- Be willing to attend all required Hilton Head Nannies & Companions training
Can I bring my child with me to a nanny job?
Our policy is that we do not work with nannies who must bring their own children with them to work each day. Because our clients are paying for individualized attention for their children, we must require that nannies treat this as a professional position. In return, you will be provided with the courtesy, respect and compensation of a professional childcare provider.
What hours do nannies typically work?
This, too, is dependent on what kind of position you are seeking. Our on-call nannies & sitters have very flexible schedules which is perfect for college students, mothers, or those looking to pick up a side job. You take the jobs you want and therefore set your own schedule.
If you are seeking a permanent job, it will depend on the needs of the family. Nannies typically work Monday through Friday. While each work agreement is unique, most nannies work 40-60 hours per week.
What do nannies typically make?
A nanny's salary is dependent on several factors:
- Previous experience
- Education in the field
- The number of children
- The nanny's responsibilities
- The hours nanny is expected to work each week
Our part-time vacation nannies/on-call nannies and sitters are paid an hourly rate by the client of $14-30 depending on the number of children, if families are combining to use one nanny, and more.
The beginning wage for permanent nannies just entering the field ranges from $12-14/hour. Nannies with more experience and education make $15-25/hour.
Nannies in permanent jobs usually receive 1-2 weeks paid vacation, as well as 7 paid holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Sometimes New Year's Eve and the Friday after Thanksgiving are also offered. Most families offered sick days, bereavement days, educational days, a phone stipend (if you are expected to keep in touch with the parents while working) and insurance/health stipend.
What are some of the benefits of working with Hilton Head Nannies & Companions?
Hilton Head Nannies & Companions is pleased to offer many incentives for choosing our agency:
- We offer national recruitment and placements.
- We personalize our search for you. We interview our nannies and families extensively so that we can make the best matches - our goal is for our families to retain their nannies long term!
- Consultations on setting up your resume and the start of a portfolio
- A detailed work agreement that can be customized to the specifications agreed upon by you and the family
- Personalized service with you and the family at heart
- A detailed Nanny notebook that contains everything needed for effective communication between the nanny and family
- Educational and networking resources for nannies
- Ongoing support for both the family and the nanny - we are here to help!
- A family registry that enables us to present you to some of the finest families nationwide!
- We have 20+ years of experience within the nanny industry and possess a wealth of knowledge that will be helpful to you on your journey as "Nanny".
How do I become a Nanny with Hilton Head Nannies & Companions?
The first step in applying with Hilton Head Nannies & Companions is to fill out the initial phase of our Online Nanny Application (a printable version is unfortunately not available).
After all your application is received, we will reach out to you with further instructions. The interview and screening process is very in depth and we look forward to walking you through that process toward a rewarding position on our registry.